Space Dandy (スペース☆ダンディ Supēsu Dandi) is a sci-fi comedy series by Shinichirō Watanabe, the creator of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. The show features a character named Dandy and a crew aboard a spaceship named Aloha Oe and is currently finished airing its first season, with a second season airing in July 20, 2014 on the Dub. A manga adaptation is currently running in Young Gangan magazine since December 20, 2013.
Plot[edit | edit source]
The story revolves around Dandy, a human alien-hunter. His job is to seek out new aliens never seen before, and receives a reward whenever he finds a new species. Dandy's mission is to find those new species faster than anyone else as he travels the galaxy and he travels with the bucket-of-bolts robot QT and the dimwit alien Meow he picked up. Along the way, Dandy comes into contact with new planets and their inhabitants.
Episodes[edit | edit source]
Season 1[edit | edit source]
- Live with the Flow, Baby
- The Search for the Phantom Space Ramen, Baby
- Occasionally Even the Deceiver Is Deceived, Baby
- Sometimes You Can't Live with Dying, Baby
- A Merry Companion Is a Wagon in Space, Baby
- The War of the Undies and Vests, Baby
- A Race in Space Is Dangerous, Baby
- The Lonely Pooch Planet, Baby
- Plants Are Living Things, Too, Baby
- There's Always Tomorrow, Baby
- I'm Never Remembering You, Baby
- Nobody Knows the Chameleon Alien, Baby
- Even Vacuum Cleaners Fall in Love, Baby
Season 2[edit | edit source]
- I Can't Be the Only One, Baby
- There's Music in the Darkness, Baby
- Slow and Steady Wins the Race, Baby
- The Transfer Student Is Dandy, Baby
- The Big Fish is Huge, Baby
- The Gallant Space Gentleman, Baby
- Rock 'n' Roll Dandy, Baby
- A World with No Sadness, Baby
- We're All Fools, So Let's All Dance, Baby
- Lovers Are Trendy, Baby
- An Other-Dimensional Tale, Baby
- Dandy's Day in Court, Baby
- Never-ending Dandy, Baby
Media[edit | edit source]
Licensing[edit | edit source]
The anime has been licensed by FUNimation Entertainment in North America, Madman Entertainment in Australia and by Anime Limited in the United Kingdom. The series premiered in the United States before Japan on January 4, 2014 at 11:30pm on Adult Swim. The series began airing in Japan on Tokyo MX at 11:00pm on January 5, 2014, followed by TV OsakaTV Aichi, BS Fuji and AT-X. The series is also simulcasted in South East Asia at the same time as Japan on Animax Asia.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Space Dandy holds the distinction of being the first (and so far, only) Shinichiro Watanabe-directed anime to actually be dubbed by FUNimation.
- Every alien shown in the series is conceptualized by a different artist. This was Shinichiro Watanabe's intention, in order to ensure that each alien really is alien.
- The show has its own alphabet that is shown on various signs and viewscreens. It can be decyphered into Japanese, English and Engrish.
- The show may be set in the same universe as Cowboy Bebop as it uses the currency "Woolongs", and the fridge with a bluish ooze seen in "The Lonely Pooch Planet, Baby" closely resembles the one Spike Spiegel ejected from the Bebop in the episode "Toys in the Attic"(Actually Ed eats it just like Meow). However, these may simply be easter eggs rather than canonical indications of a shared continuity.
- Space Dandy airs in English on Adult Swim before the Japanese version, which is highly irregular for a Japanese show. So far, two episodes aired early in Japan(on TV Osaka) before their respective finales.
Manga[edit | edit source]
Two Manga adaptations by: Masafumi Harada & BONES (Authors) | Sung-Woo Park & REDICE (Artists)
The manga adaptation began serialization in Square Enix's Young Gangan magazine on December 20, 2013. The first tankōbon volume was released on March 25, 2014. Yen Press licensed the series for release in North America, with the first volume released on June 28, 2016, and the second volume released on September 27, 2016.
Video Game[edit | edit source]
The app released on Android on January 24th, 2014 & IOS on February 6th, 2014 in Japan. It was announced that it would renewed to " Super Space ☆ Galaga " in July of that year, and distribution started on August 6th, 2014. Fighters and parts were added in large quantities. The service was then discontinued on December 11th, 2014 and re-released as Space Galaga International edition for the release overseas. It was then discontinued again in 2016, the last updated version being 1.0.1
The app featured a Space Dandy themed twist on the classic arcade game with customizable ships, themed boss battles, alien captures, and a store at BooBies. It also featured small dialog cut-scenes.